SHIELDING CHILDREN FROM CONFLICT
Cooperative Parenting is an innovative program that puts children first while creating promising solutions that focus on education and the prevention of parental conflict in situations of family separation.
Family relationships do not disappear when a marriage or relationship ends. For the sake of their children, divorced parents must continue to communicate with their former spouses in matters of child-rearing. The ability of parents to interact with each other greatly affects the child's adjustment to divorce. Unrelenting parental conflict is the single most common cause of poor adjustment in children following a divorce. Cooperative Parenting and Divorce is designed to improve the quality of the parental relationship in situations of child custody and/or visitation disputes. The overall emphasis of Cooperative Parenting and Divorce is to offer children the opportunity to grow in a home environment free from being caught in the middle of parental conflict. The Cooperative Parenting and Divorce program has been well received by judges and juvenile courts throughout the nation since its introduction in 1995.
HOW IT WORKS: The program is designed for parents demonstrating mild to moderate levels of parental conflict. It is facilitated by a trained parent educator.
• Program components include a Leader’s Guide, Parent’s Guide and companion video• Consists of 16 hours of classe time that E3 staff facilitates either privately with one family or on a group basis depending upon referrals and individual needs, incorporates skill development, group discussion, parent interaction and homework assignments.
• The goals of the program include:
• Assisting parents in shifting their role from former spouses to co-parents• Educating parents regarding the impact of parental conflict on their child’s development
• Helping parents identify their contributions to conflict while increasing impulse control
• Teaching parents anger management, communication and conflict resolution skills and children’s issues in divorce•
E3 Family Solutions, Inc.
Encouraging Communities to be Family Friendly
Equipping Youth to Make Healthy Choices
Empowering Parents to Build Strong Families